On Saturday, February 19, 2022 we are going to recite the "I Have A Dream" speech to honor the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Dr. King was known to do encourage people of all races to do the right thing.
Handout: Kid Basics
1. Parents have an important role teaching our young children what behaviors are appropriate, safe and acceptable. We can respond to their behavior in ways that help children learn. Teaching in this way is called discipline.
2. Some ways we support the positive and desired behaviors of children are by:
- Giving the child forewarning know when a change is going to happen (eg, when it’s time to put away toys and get ready for lunch)
- Focusing on “do’s” versus “don’ts”
- Noticing and pointing out good behavior
- Providing support and guidance for the child to develop self-control and manage emotions
- Setting fair, simple rules that the child can follow and keep those rules
Children are learning how to express themselves, how to get along with others, and how to manage their feelings. With positive discipline from you, time and opportunities to practice, children learn to share, cooperate, and make good choices. Children learn from our example. Practice the kind of behavior you expect from them.